Policies and Procedures
Start / Dismissal Times:
School begins at 8:00 am and the tardy bell will ring at 8:05 am. All students who are late need to report to the office for a tardy slip. This procedure is to make sure that all students are accounted for at school.
School ends at 2:15 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 1:00 pm on Wednesdays.
The Hawaii Revised statutes, Sec. 302A-1132, Attendance Compulsory, Act 76 of 2014, requires a child who is 5 yrs. of age by July 31 and not yet eighteen on or before December 31, of any school year, to attend either a public or private school unless properly excused from school. Sec. 302A-1136, Enforcement, HRS places the responsibility for enforcing compulsory attendance with the Department of Education (DOE). Section302A-1135, Penalty HRS,Student, mother or father, guardian, or person having charge of the child who persists in being absent from school may be referred and summoned to Family Court.
Exceptions from the compulsory attendance law is permitted only under specified conditions pursuant to Section 302-1132, Attendance compulsory; exceptions, HRS, and Chapter 12, Hawaii Administrative Rules, relating to complulsory attendance exceptions.
It is absolutely necessary for you child to attend school everyday if he/she is to make progress and keep up with the class. Doctor/Dentist appointments should be scheduled during non-school hours. Family trips should be planned during non-school days.
For children who are NEW to the Hawaii Public School system and entering school for the first time or are transferring from a Private,Mainland (Continental U.S.) or Foreign country school, the following documents must be present when enrolling the child:
1 - a state issued birth certificate or passport (if born in a foreign country).
2 - Proof of residence such as a rental agreement/receipt; a current driver's license; a State ID or utility bill.
3 - A Form 14 Student Health Record (see School Health Requirements). Transcripts from the prior school(if any) should be provided.
Please notify the school office at 832- 3370, ext. 1 when your child is sick. This information will be forwarded to your child’s teacher. When calling your child’s teacher, you may need to leave a message on his/her voicemail. Unless it’s an emergency, call before 1:00 pm if the teacher needs to follow through on the message.
- Doctor's/Dentist's Note with the dates of care will be excused. If a student is tardy due to a doctor/dentist appointment, a verifiable note is required.
- Parent/Guardian Notification (note/call) for the following cases may be excused: family funerals or emergency. Parents/Guardians reporting an absence by phone should be called in to the office by 9:00 a.m. for each day absent. (832-3370)
- Chronic Medical Condition which affects his/her attendance, will be excused. the student's doctor should write a note explaining that the student may be physically unable to be in school for a specified amount of time due to illness.
- School-Related Health Concerns, which are initiated by the school for the student to receive treatment and be absent, shall be excused for 24 hours. As an example of treatment is the presence of head lice (ukus). Also if a student sent home from the health room before 11:00 it is considered an excused absence.
- Family Court Hearings and Hearings Involving Foster Children with a court note/document will be excused.
Unexcused Absences/Tardies are the following:
- Students arriving after the second bell at 8:05 a.m. are considered tardy.
- Tardies that are unexcused include the following: traffic, overslept, car trouble, eating breakfast, weather, walking to school, etc.
- Trips will be marked as unexcused unless it is due to a family emergency (i.i. funeral, etc.). The trip/release needs to be reflected on the child's cum folder (form 13).
Please contact the office (832-3370) by 9:00 a.m. when requesting homework for the day. Pick-up homework after dismissal, but before 4:00 p.m..
Student Pass for Early Release:
Whenever a student leaves the school during the school day, a Student Pass is required. Parents/relatives should come to the office to sign for the release.
Please note: Students who leave prior to 11:00 am OR arrive after 11:00 am will be marked absent.
Free/Reduced School Meal Program:
For families who are interested in applying for the program, applications are available in the school office. Complete the form and submit it to the office. Applications will be forwarded to the School Food Service Branch for processing. Families will be notified by the school's Meal Count Assistant.
School Breakfast / Lunch:
The school is on a payment on Account System (Meal Tracker). Full paying and reduced paying students pre-pay for their meals. Breakfast is served from 7:15 am - 7:50 am each morning.
If adults or younger sibbling eat breakfast with the student, they must pay the adult price. All food must be eaten in the cafeteria and cannot be taken out by order of the Department of Health.
Regular student breakfast $1.10
Reduced price student breakfast $.30
Regular student lunch $2.50
Reduced price lunch $.40
Adult breakfast $2.40
Adult Lunch $5.50
School Health Requirements:
HRS 302, HAR 11-157 requires that all new students in Hawaii must have the following health requirements met before the child can start school:
- a tuberculosis (TB) clearance
- a physical examination (PE)
- an up-to-date immunization record (shots/injections).
Any questions regarding these requirements may be addressed to the school health aide at 832-3370 ext. 2
After- School Program (A+):
This program provides after-school services to students attending Likelike Elementary School. It is being operated by the YMCA, Kalihi Branch. If you have questions, call Ryan Leong or Whitney Elizaga at 848-2494.
Parents /Teacher Club (PTC):
All families are encouraged to become members of our PTC. Fundraising activities by the PTC helps support programs within the school and classrooms. Any help or support that you can give to make our school’s PTC and outstanding organization is welcomed.
Tobacco / Drug Free School:
Likelike School is a Drug Free School and in accordance with Chapter 31, smoking and other use of tobacco products is prohibited at all times on public school campuses, at school sponsored activities and all Dept. of Education’s buildings and facilities. We ask that parents and other adults follow the law and be a role moel for your children. Please extingusih cigarettes before enering the campus grounds.
1618 Palama Street Honolulu, HI 96817 Phone: (808) 832-3370 Fax: (808) 832-3374 Principal: Mr. Kelly Bart